[CIG-MC] AGU's new data policy

Thomas Ruedas Thomas.Ruedas at dlr.de
Tue Mar 13 03:01:28 PDT 2018

I agree that movies are often useful for providing insights into results
that may not have been included in a paper, but they cannot be more than
a convenient supplement for a data archive, because they do not provide
the quantitative information in a format that can be reused by others.
Providing the actual datasets, by contrast, would allow others to
generate movies if they want.
A more practical solution for producing a "small" archive is probably
the use of lossy compression formats. I recall a paper in G3 by Afonso
et al. (2015)
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2015GC006031/abstract) in
which a method was presented that allows the efficient compression of
multidimensional datasets. Although the paper had phase diagrams in
mind, this or a similar method could probably be used for storing
modeling results without any substantial modifications at a lower cost
than the storage of the raw, uncompressed data. Such an archive would
not store the original raw data, but it would provide a dataset that
should allow the reproduction and, more importantly, the replication of
the published results. The advantage of replicability over
reproducibility was brought up by Louise Kellogg earlier in this thread,
and I concur with her that this is what AGU should aim for. Maybe it
would be good if the community could settle on a data compression
standard and provide tools for it.

Best,
Thomas

--