[CIG-SEISMO] time reversed computation in specfem2d

Dimitri Komatitsch dimitri.komatitsch at univ-pau.fr
Wed Apr 29 06:15:55 PDT 2009

Dear Jörg and Carl,

This has been done already, by Carl Tape et al. from Caltech (USA).
See for instance their papers below and in PDF at
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~carltape/research/CV.html#Pubs

I thought the kernel capability and adjoint runs had been added to
SPECFEM2D already (on the SVN server). Carl, did you do it?
We talked about it (merging your kernels in the SVN code) two years ago
and I thought that it had been done since then. If not, would it be easy
to do? It would clearly be very useful. As always, working on a local
version not under SVN control was a bad idea to begin with... because
now it is a dead branch... could somebody (maybe Jörg) cut and paste
your adjoint routines in the SVN code? (if you sent him a copy of your
old 2D code)

In the future let us all use SVN all the time from the beginning of any
new SPECFEM project.

Thanks,

Tape, C., Liu, Q., and J. Tromp, 2007, Finite-frequency tomography using
adjoint methods---Methodology and examples using membrane surface waves,
  Geophysical Journal International, v. 168, 1105-1129.

Tromp, J., Tape, C., and Q. Liu, 2005, Seismic tomography, adjoint
methods, time reversal, and banana-doughnut kernels, Geophysical Journal
International, v. 160, p. 195-216.

pge05bqw at studserv.uni-leipzig.de wrote:
> Hello,
> i'am trying to add a time reversed computation to specfem2d. First I
> thought it would be enough to change sign of deltat(and deltatcube...)
> after some time iteration steps(e.g. half of NSTEP). But it doesn't
> seem to be that easy, because it leads to a extremly big maximum norm
> of vector field, which aborts the program.
> Does anyone have an idea how this could work?
> Thanks,
> Jörg Buchwald
> Student
> University of Leipzig

Dimitri Komatitsch - dimitri.komatitsch aT univ-pau.fr
Professor, University of Pau, Institut universitaire de France,
CNRS and INRIA Magique3D, France   http://www.univ-pau.fr/~dkomati1