[CIG-SEISMO] time reversed computation in specfem2d

Carl Tape carltape at gps.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 30 08:28:44 PDT 2009

Hi Jorg,

I think these questions pertain more to the process of how the adjoint
procedure works for seismic wave propagation, rather than the details of
the codes.  The two papers that Dimitri mentioned step through the
procedure: Tromp et al. (2005) and Tape et al. (2007).  In short, though,
the procedure does not involve chanding the sign of deltat.  (This IS done
in practice to recreate the forward wavefield in the 3D code, so that you
do not have to store the wavefield at every time step -- see Liu and Tromp
(2006).)  It involves using the forward solver with one
source-time-function for the real source and a different
source-time-function ("adjoint source") placed at the station.  For a
forward simulation alone, we typically use a delta function as the
source-time-function.  The delta function has unresolved frequencies, so
then you need to filter these out in post-processing.  For the adjoint
simulations, though, we do use "smooth" source-time-functions as you
mentioned.

I hope these papers are informative enough in conveying the procedure.
Maybe after you check those out we could discuss the implementation
details.  If you have questions, let me know.

I did the work shown within the two GJI papers starting in 2003 using a
version of a SEM 2D code, prior to an SVN version of SPECFEM2D.  Life
would have been easier if I switched to "the" SPECFEM2D and started using
SVN right away, since there are many features of the inverse problem (not
the forward problem) that are used within my work that are not yet
implemented into SPECFEM2D.  Hopefully I can help Christina bring at
least the essential parts into the code for the adjoint simulations.
It is not at all a matter of "cut and paste" though -- we just need to
find a few weeks of time to do this.

Carl Tape
Caltech (now Harvard)