[CIG-SEISMO] Any experience running SPECFEM3D on a multicore machine?

Dimitri Komatitsch dimitri.komatitsch at univ-pau.fr
Wed Mar 25 05:38:50 PDT 2009

Hi Steve,

Yes, we do this all the time. It could be that the code purposely
called exit_MPI.f90 because your parameters are incorrect in
DATA/Par_file. Look for error messages in directory "OUTPUT_FILES"
( error*.txt ).

Otherwise it could be an MPI library install problem on your system
(unlikely, but it has happened in the past).

If you do not manage to locate the problem please send me a tar file
in a few days and I will try on another machine.

Steve Smith wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience building and running SPECFEM3D on a
> multicore machine?
>
> I have a working implementation with IFORT and MPICH2 - but there are
> typically process communication problems (MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD,
> 30)) when running the mesher.
>
> I have compiled and run other MPI codes on my Fedora 9 dual-quad core
> without problems. Therefore I suspect there may be SPECFEM3D
> optimizations/compile flags that may resolve the issue. I'd like to
> correspond with anyone who has a similar problem or knows a possible
> solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Steve Smith
> Ph.D. Student
> Colorado School of Mines

Dimitri Komatitsch - dimitri.komatitsch aT univ-pau.fr
Professor, University of Pau, Institut universitaire de France,
CNRS and INRIA Magique3D, France   http://www.univ-pau.fr/~dkomati1