[CIG-SEISMO] Laplacian error in xmeshfem3D

Steve Smith smithsh at dix.Mines.EDU
Fri Mar 27 09:05:15 PDT 2009

Dr. Komatitsch,

I've built the SPECFEM3D package up through the meshing stage on my 32
bit Fedora Core 3 cluster with IFORT v9.0 and MPICH-1.2.7 (vintage 2005).

As you know, I am attempting to run xmeshfem3D to generate a sample mesh
file. I need to know the mesh format so that I can convert COMSOL/ELMER
meshes or geometry files to be run in SPECFEM3D. I have built/run the
mesher for use with the default haukson_model files as given in
DATA/Par_file.

On my multicore desktop, MPI xmeshfem3D with the included Par_file and
go_mesher script failed with 3D Laplacian errors followed by MPI_Abort
communicator errors. The same error occurred on the cluster.

Therefore, I compiled for serial execution on a single cluster node using
the --without-mpi switch. Changes I made to the included files were:

1) the "mymachines" file lists my cluster nodes (standard),

2) the LOCAL_PATH variable in the Par_file points to
/scratch/<my username>/DATABASES_MPI instead of
/scratch/komatits/DATABASES_MPI

3) NPROC_XI and NPROC_ETA were set to 1

The OUTPUT_FILES/error_message00000.txt for serial execution reads:
3D Jacobian undefined
  Error detected, aborting MPI... proc            0

Computation of the 3D Jacobian within the mesher seems to be the problem.
This error preceeds the stdio MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 30) errors when
the mesher runs with MPICH1 and MPICH2 on the cluster or my multicore
desktop using NPROC_XI=NPROC_ETA=2

  3D Jacobian undefined
  Error detected, aborting MPI... proc            2

I am unable to diagnose this any further. What files/output would be
helpful in this case? I will cc this to the CIG-SEISMO list.

Again, thank you for your help.

Respectfully,

-Steve Smith
Geophysics Ph.D. Student