[CIG-SEISMO] random medium and mesher in specfem2D

Dimitri Komatitsch dimitri.komatitsch at univ-pau.fr
Fri Nov 13 06:58:33 PST 2009

Hi,

It is possible, but I am not sure that local polynomial basis
functions of degree 4 to 8 in each element (as in the Lagrange
interpolants at GLL points in the spectral element method) will be able
to accurately represent it.

Usually for random media people turn to methods designed specifically
for that, for instance the nice work of Randall LeVeque et al., see
his web page at http://www.amath.washington.edu/~rjl/pubs/

pge05bqw at studserv.uni-leipzig.de wrote:
> Hi
> I want to ask if it's posible to implement a contious random medium in
> specfem2D or alternatively to use a different mesher? Or is the mesher
> to much enmeshed in the solver?
> Thx & cheers,
> Jörg

Dimitri Komatitsch - dimitri.komatitsch aT univ-pau.fr
Professor, University of Pau, Institut universitaire de France,
CNRS and INRIA Magique3D, France   http://www.univ-pau.fr/~dkomati1