[CIG-SEISMO] Homogeneous earth model

Stefan Wenk wenk at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Jul 9 00:27:12 PDT 2010

Dear CIG-Seismo Team,

this is Stefan Wenk from Munich University. Recently we've tried to compare SpecFEM3D with
our DG Code on global scales. Therefore, the comparison we would like to start
as simple as possible, using a homogeneous earth model.

For that reason I've tried to change the isotropic PREM routine model_prem.f90
in the source code and implemented constant material values for rho, vp, and vs
instead of the polynomials. The compilation worked fine but the code crashed due
to instability problems. I think this is caused by the constant S-wave velocity
unequal to zero I've chosen in the outer core.

Does the calculation of the potential you do in the outer core assume vs=0? Is
there any possibility to circumvent this issue without huge changes in the code?

Best regards,

Stefan

Geophysics
Munich University