[CIG-SEISMO] Help with visualizing output in Google Earth

Nena Carina Espanola nena.carina at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 20:12:06 PDT 2010

Thanks Daniel for the quick reply.

As per your instructions, I checked the temporary **.ps and **.png files
and only the postscript files have waveforms. The temporary png files
were just blank images. I'm attaching the log of the output when I
issued the script. I suspect that the error is in the cropping of the
postscript file but I'm not really sure though.

Thanks again,

Nena

On Thursday, 03 June, 2010 09:01 PM, daniel peter wrote:
> Hi Nena,
>
> when you use the scripts to create PNG files, i.e. either
> plot_movie_GMT_ascii_PNG.pl or plot_movie_GMT_binary_PNG.pl, be sure
> to have the colortables (blue_white_red.cpt and gray_pyramid_inv.cpt,
> should be found in the respository UTILS/Visualization/GMT/ ) copied
> to your local working directory where you run the scripts.
>
> once that's done, and it's still not working, comment out the lines in
> the plot-script (e.g. plot_movie_GMT_ascii_PNG.pl):
> >  # removes temporary images
> >  ##### print CSH "rm -f $ps_file $ps_file.mask $file.mask.png
> $file.disp.png \n";
> > ..
>
> at the end of the script to check the temporary created **.ps and
> **.png files. if nothing shows any waveforms, please send me a text
> output which  is created when you set:
>
> > ..
> > $verbose = "-V";
>
> at the beginning of the script.
>
> good luck,
> daniel
>

> ps. i assume you have GMT and ImageMagick installed, otherwise you
> wouldn't have been able to create any gif files in the first try as well.
>

> On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Nena Carina Espanola wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Thank you so much for the help.
>>
>> I have managed to finally remove the big X. I tried increasing the
>> resolution of the global simulation to 192 and used the PNG scripts. But
>> there seems to be a problem with the PNG files that were generated. When
>> I closely inspected them, they're all just blank images. I actually
>> didn't edit the scripts as I don't exactly know how. Any more tips would
>> be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>>
>> Nena
>>
>> On Thursday, 13 May, 2010 11:22 AM, daniel peter wrote:
>>> Hi Nena,
>>>
>>> not sure if somebody already replied to your message below which i
>>> received from the CIG mailer. in case you are still trying to find out,
>>> first you have to check with the file path names that are used in your
>>> "animation.kml", e.g. :
>>> <href>OUTPUT_FILES/gmt_movie_000100.xyz.gif</href>
>>>
>>> in this case, GoogleEarth would try to find the image files in the
>>> subdirectory OUTPUT_FILES/ which you will have to provide.
>>> if that directory and those files don't exist, GoogleEarth can't find
>>> them and will display a red "X" instead.
>>>
>>> that is, make sure that when you copy over the 'animation.kml' file to
>>> another directory,
>>> you also have to copy over the OUTPUT_FILES/***.gif files. then
>>> GoogleEarth should be able to find the files in the right spot and
>>> display them correctly.
>>>
>>> best wishes,
>>> daniel
>>>
>>> ps.
>>> 1. these google earth visualization are still in a very preliminary