[CIG-SEISMO] Please help a beginner

Dimitri Komatitsch dimitri.komatitsch at univ-pau.fr
Sun Jun 6 14:41:04 PDT 2010

Dear Jun-wei,

I agree with Qinya's answers.

Another option is for you to switch to the new "SESAME" version of
SPECFEM3D, which is our current beta release. It has far more
flexibility in terms of handling geological models for other regions.
You can get it from the CIG web site (see the instructions about
downloading the "current SVN version" on the web page).

On 05/25/2010 04:38 PM, Qinya Liu wrote:
> Hi Jun-wei,
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Huang, Jun-Wei
> <Jun-Wei.Huang at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca
> <mailto:Jun-Wei.Huang at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Hello:
>     I just started using specfem3d v1.4.3 and have a few basic
>     questions. Could anyone in this email list offer some help? Thank
>     you in advance.
>
>     1). In the manual page 6, it says "MODEL must be one of the
>     following: SoCal and Harvard_LA". Can I provide my own models, and
>     how to create my own models?
>
> You have to know what you are doing  when replacing the model, in terms
> of model dimension and how various components (topography, crystalline
> basement and Moho) are loaded.
>
>     2). I plan to use this program for an exploration seismology
>     problem, which involves 1000~3000 sources. In the specfem3d.f90
>     code, line 528, I notice that an error message will be issued if
>     NSOURCES (number of sources?) is larger than 1000. Will this limit
>     my application, in other words, can specfem3d allows more than 1000
>     shots?
>
> This theoretically can be modified in the code (which I don't think is
> problematic for the forward simulation you are doing).
>
>     3). I initially compiled specfem3d on a single PC (compiled
>     --without-mpi, FC=Fortran) and followed the manual till page 19,
>     where I cannot use UTILS/slice_number.pl <http://slice_number.pl>
>     (actually UTILS/Vistualization/slice_number.pl
>     <http://slice_number.pl>) to generate a slices_file. I have matlab
>     installed. The machine is complaining no sph2utm command. Where and
>     what is the sph2utm command? Is this the only way to load/view the
>     binary kernel output files in matlab or paraview?
>
> You don't have to use the mesh2vtu tools to generate data files for
> visualization. Saving mesh in AVS format is also fine. sph2utm converts
> spherical coordinates to UTM coordinates for source and receivers. I'll
> make sure I supply a version to the repository. But if you need it, you
> can download it from here:
>
> http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~liuqy/temp/sph2utm.tar.gz
>
> Good luck with your application,
> Qinya

Dimitri Komatitsch - dimitri.komatitsch aT univ-pau.fr
Professor, University of Pau, Institut universitaire de France,
CNRS and INRIA Magique3D, France   http://www.univ-pau.fr/~dkomati1