[CIG-SEISMO] Please help a beginner

Qinya Liu liuqinya at gmail.com
Tue May 25 07:38:13 PDT 2010

Hi Jun-wei,

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Huang, Jun-Wei <
Jun-Wei.Huang at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:

>  Hello:
> I just started using specfem3d v1.4.3 and have a few basic questions. Could
> anyone in this email list offer some help? Thank you in advance.
>
> 1). In the manual page 6, it says "MODEL must be one of the following:
> SoCal and Harvard_LA". Can I provide my own models, and how to create my own
> models?

You have to know what you are doing  when replacing the model, in terms of
model dimension and how various components (topography, crystalline basement
and Moho) are loaded.

> 2). I plan to use this program for an exploration seismology problem, which
> involves 1000~3000 sources. In the specfem3d.f90 code, line 528, I notice
> that an error message will be issued if NSOURCES (number of sources?) is
> larger than 1000. Will this limit my application, in other words, can
> specfem3d allows more than 1000 shots?

This theoretically can be modified in the code (which I don't think is
problematic for the forward simulation you are doing).

> 3). I initially compiled specfem3d on a single PC (compiled --without-mpi,
> FC=Fortran) and followed the manual till page 19, where I cannot use UTILS/
> slice_number.pl (actually UTILS/Vistualization/slice_number.pl) to
> generate a slices_file. I have matlab installed. The machine is complaining
> no sph2utm command. Where and what is the sph2utm command? Is this the only
> way to load/view the binary kernel output files in matlab or paraview?

You don't have to use the mesh2vtu tools to generate data files for
visualization. Saving mesh in AVS format is also fine. sph2utm converts
spherical coordinates to UTM coordinates for source and receivers. I'll make
sure I supply a version to the repository. But if you need it, you can
download it from here:

http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~liuqy/temp/sph2utm.tar.gz

Good luck with your application,
Qinya