[CIG-SEISMO] Please help a beginner

Huang, Jun-Wei Jun-Wei.Huang at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Mon May 24 16:03:24 PDT 2010

Hello:
I just started using specfem3d v1.4.3 and have a few basic questions.
Could anyone in this email list offer some help? Thank you in advance.

1). In the manual page 6, it says "MODEL must be one of the following:
SoCal and Harvard_LA". Can I provide my own models, and how to create my
own models?

2). I plan to use this program for an exploration seismology problem,
which involves 1000~3000 sources. In the specfem3d.f90 code, line 528, I
notice that an error message will be issued if NSOURCES (number of
sources?) is larger than 1000. Will this limit my application, in other
words, can specfem3d allows more than 1000 shots?

3). I initially compiled specfem3d on a single PC (compiled
--without-mpi, FC=Fortran) and followed the manual till page 19, where I
cannot use UTILS/slice_number.pl (actually
UTILS/Vistualization/slice_number.pl) to generate a slices_file. I have
matlab installed. The machine is complaining no sph2utm command. Where
and what is the sph2utm command? Is this the only way to load/view the
binary kernel output files in matlab or paraview?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Best regards,
Junwei