[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D inversion workflow

Carl Tape carltape at gi.alaska.edu
Thu Aug 11 10:35:53 PDT 2011

Dear Alan,

You are looking in the right place on cig/svn. Within ADJOINT_TOMO the
components for making the model update are there; however, there are no
explicit rules for computing the model update, just as with any optimization
problem. There are options for computing a conjugate gradient step, as well
as a source subspace projection step. The basic tools of loading slices from
kernels and performing basic manipulations are there. First look under
ADJOINT_TOMO/iterate_adj/ (and the README). Just now I renamed the
subdirectory "pangu" to "cluster" to be more clear about what is inside (so
"svn update"). Inside "cluster" there are several operations that might be
needed for computing the update. These were used for the study of
Tape-Liu-Maggi-Tromp (2009,2010), and have also been used by Daniel Peter
(middle east) and Hejun Zhu (Europe).

You are right, though -- the workflow could use substantial "stitching
together." I/We would welcome the kinds of improvements that you are
proposing. Perhaps check out what components are there, then move forward.
Let me/us know if you have questions.

The best single file to read is probably:

ADJOINT_TOMO/iterate_adj/cluster/README

Carl

Carl Tape
Assistant Professor