[CIG-SEISMO] techniques for generating large meshes with CUBIT

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 21 08:15:53 PST 2011

Hi all:

We are running into some issues generating large meshes (few million hex
cells) for PyLith using CUBIT. We want a mesh in which some regions have
a finer resolution mesh and have been using

refine node in REFINEGROUP depth 1

to refine the mesh in the desired regions. We appear to be running out
of memory on a machine with 16GB of RAM when the number of cells gets to
be more than about a few million.

If anyone has experience generating a hex (or tet) mesh with 5-10
million cells or more using CUBIT in which some regions have a finer
resolution, I would appreciate learning what procedure you used and how
much memory was required.

Thanks,