[CIG-SEISMO] questions for Mineos

Xiuxiu Xue xuexiuxiu09 at mails.gucas.ac.cn
Fri Jan 21 04:27:28 PST 2011

Dear Professor ,

   I am one user of your powerful software Mineos. Now, I would like to
consult you on some questions.

   In page 20 of Mineos User Manual , it says that "ifanis = 1 for an
anisotropic (transversely isotropic) model, = 0 for isotropic." However, in
page 21, it says "If the model is isotropic, ifanis = 1 and minos_bran reads
and changes the values of vph, vsh and eta field in the following way: vph =
vpv; vsh = vsv, and eta = 1."

I found they are inconsistent. I don't know if I misunderstand it , could
you please give me some explanation.

And the parameter ifanis in the models in your software is set to be 1, and
vph = vpv; vsh = vsv, eta = 1. However, code in mineos.f , there is "
if(ifanis.eq.0) then

      do i=1,n

        vph(i)=vpv(i)

        vsh(i)=vsv(i)

        eta(i)=1.d0  "

According to my understanding , if ifanis=1 ,then it is anisotropic, and if
ifanis=0, it is isotropic, isn't it? If so, the models in the software are
isotropic ,and ifanis should be set to be 0, right?

If so, I would appreciate it if you can provide anisotropic models to me?

I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Sincerely yours,

Xiuxiu Xue

Institute of Geodesy and Geophysics.Chinese Academy of Science