[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D - test case for meshfem3D "simple model"

daniel peter dpeter at princeton.edu
Wed Mar 9 09:03:22 PST 2011

Salut Camille,

thanks for giving SPECFEM3D a try :) i was reading your mail below and
it sounded like the example didn't run for you. however, the output
you attached is the correct one. it seems that you are actually doing
everything all right and the xmeshfem3D is working just fine for the
example as well.

maybe you are just misinterpreting the skewness table:
histogram of skewness (0. good - 1. bad):

   0.0000000E+00  -   5.0000001E-02       27648     81.81818      %
   5.0000001E-02  -   0.1000000               0    0.0000000E+00  %

the first line means that you have 27648 elements with a skewness
value between 0 and 0.05 (which means the element is basically not
skewed, just plain regular hexahedral element). the total number of
elements you have in this mesh is (see in the output_mesher.txt file a
bit further down):
  total number of elements in entire mesh:        33792

which gives you that:  27648 / 33792 ~ 81.8 % of all elements are not
skewed, i.e. regular elements. a fantastic value :)

the histogram lists for this mesh also some stronger skewed elements,
for example the worst ones belong to:
0.6000000      -   0.6500000            2048     6.060606      %

about 6 % of all elements have distortions with a skewness value
between 0.6 and 0.65. the skewness values give you a hint of how good
your mesh is. in an ideal world, you would want to have no
distortions, just like the 81% from above. those elements give you the
best approximate values by the GLL quadrature used in the spectral-
element method. however, having weakly distorted elements is still
fine and the solutions are still accurate enough. so empirically,
values up to around 0.7 are tolerable, above that you should consider
remeshing...

to give you an idea why some of the elements are distorted, i'll
attach here a figure of the mesh you obtain in this example. you will
see that the mesh contains a doubling layer, where we stitch elements
together such that the size of two elements will transition to the
size of one element (very useful to keep the ratio of wavespeed /
element_size about constant). those elements in this doubling layer
have higher skewness values and make up those 6 % in the histogram.