[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D_GLOBE unstable in fluid

Chad Hogan cmhogan at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jan 25 10:41:41 PST 2012

Hello,

I've been having some trouble with SPECFEM3D_GLOBE, as all of my runs terminate with
"forward simulation became unstable and blew up in the fluid". I have seen previous messages on this list suggesting that there may be code issues.

To remove the possibility that it is a bug in my own changes to the code, I checked out the original code from SVN

$> svn checkout http://geodynamics.org/svn/cig/seismo/3D/SPECFEM3D_GLOBE/trunk SPECFEM3D_GLOBE

-----
Checked out external at revision 19417.

Checked out revision 19416.
-----

For my testing I am using "small_benchmark_run_to_test_a_new_machine"

Meshing completes successfully, but the simulation becomes unstable in the fluid.

The meshing and simulation were run with the unmodified

Par_file_this_example     (md5sum: 8d385f2b18e35e0ecd3acb0c0d8dd612 )
CMTSOLUTION_this_example  (md5sum: 4d57b5e215d5e2f39988e1031000cc53 )
STATIONS_this_example     (md5sum: ffc137053fe5e15008c4a749c4eb50f3 )

and the unmodified checked-out code as above.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions or advice on how I can address this problem.

Thank you very much,

Chad Hogan
cmhogan at ucalgary.ca