[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D_GLOBE unstable in fluid

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Wed Jan 25 13:43:04 PST 2012

Dear Chad,

Thank you for your message. Indeed as you say we discussed this point a
few months ago, and I thought the problem had been fixed. I remember
that somebody had a look (maybe Carl, Daniel and/or Yang? I cc them).

If anybody has worked on this already and fixed the problem, please let
me know (and I will check why the bug has reappeared). Otherwise in a
few days I will have a look at the SVN logs to see what went wrong (the
code used to be 100% OK; this problem appeared a few months ago for some
reason).

Are you using a Cray or IBM machine? if so, it could just be the
"-qsave" flag that needs to be removed from "flags.guess" before running
the "configure" script. I was about to add this to the users manual
(thanks to Marcin Zielinski, who found and fixed this compiler option
problem; I cc him).

Thanks,
I will keep you informed,

Dimitri.

On 01/25/2012 07:41 PM, Chad Hogan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been having some trouble with SPECFEM3D_GLOBE, as all of my runs terminate with
> "forward simulation became unstable and blew up in the fluid". I have seen previous messages on this list suggesting that there may be code issues.
>
> To remove the possibility that it is a bug in my own changes to the code, I checked out the original code from SVN
>
> $>  svn checkout http://geodynamics.org/svn/cig/seismo/3D/SPECFEM3D_GLOBE/trunk SPECFEM3D_GLOBE
>
> -----
> Checked out external at revision 19417.
>
> Checked out revision 19416.
> -----
>
> For my testing I am using "small_benchmark_run_to_test_a_new_machine"
>
> Meshing completes successfully, but the simulation becomes unstable in the fluid.
>
> The meshing and simulation were run with the unmodified
>
> Par_file_this_example     (md5sum: 8d385f2b18e35e0ecd3acb0c0d8dd612 )
> CMTSOLUTION_this_example  (md5sum: 4d57b5e215d5e2f39988e1031000cc53 )
> STATIONS_this_example     (md5sum: ffc137053fe5e15008c4a749c4eb50f3 )
>
> and the unmodified checked-out code as above.
>
> I would very much appreciate any suggestions or advice on how I can address this problem.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Chad Hogan
> cmhogan at ucalgary.ca

Dimitri Komatitsch - komatitsch aT lma.cnrs-mrs.fr