[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM2D adjoint calculation problem/bug(?)

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Wed Jul 4 08:31:56 PDT 2012

Dear Philip, dear all,

Thank you very much for this bug report. Most users run the 2D code
without MPI and thus the MPI part is not fully tested for adjoint runs
(we use it a lot for forward problems here at our lab, but most of the
time for adjoint runs so far we have run in serial mode).

Could you please send us a tar file of your input files? (the DATA
directory + the external mesh (if you use an external mesher))
This way we will have a look.

(if it is a bug, it should be easy to fix).

Thank you,

On 07/04/2012 05:25 PM, Philip Knaute wrote:
> Dear Specfem2D users and developers,
>
> Yesterday I ran into a problem which, sadly, I wasn’t able to solve by myself.
>
> I was trying to create sensitivity Kernels for more than one receiver
> ( adjoint source ) with MPI enabled.
> The result I got was very surprising, so I tried to run it again on
> only one processor and the result looked much more reasonable then.
>
> Did anyone run into the same problem before and maybe found a
> solution? Is it possible that there is a bug in the communication
> between the processors? (something similar seems to happen with the
> ‘DATA/STATIONS’ file output)
>
> I have been trying to spot the mistake/bug yesterday and today, but
> without success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Philip

Dimitri Komatitsch - komatitsch aT lma.cnrs-mrs.fr