[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D how to set magnitude of vertical force

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Mon Oct 8 16:40:01 PDT 2012

Dear Andrea,

In principle, since we do not normalize anything in SPECFEM3D (while in
SPECFEM3D_GLOBE we switch to non-dimensional values internally), the
unit of FACTOR_FORCE_SOURCE should be S.I., i.e. Newtons.

However we should just doublecheck that in the source code we do not
divide that by the Gauss-Lobatto integration weights, the Jacobian or
anything like that (which would not change the shape of the seismograms
because the equation is linear, but it would change the magnitude of the
force and thus the amplitude of the seismogram).

Jo and/or Daniel or Carl, could you confirm that there is no internal
problem such as dividing by wxgll(), and thus that FACTOR_FORCE_SOURCE
is in Newtons?

(if so, let us add that to the manual).

Thank you,
Dimitri.