[CIG-SEISMO] I have some questions about SPECFEM 2D.

亢豆 kangdou131 at 163.com
Mon Feb 25 16:42:46 PST 2013

Dear all,

I have some questions about the SPECFEM 2D when I use plane waves as initial conditions.

1) I want to calculate the wave field of a model with two flat layers. The stations are located on the free surface.
                  thickness   rho          vp            vs
1st layer:     50 km  2700.d0   6500.d0   3600d0  (crust)
2nd layer:   450 km 3300.d0   7800.d0   4300d0  (mantle)

According to the manual (4.2 How to set plane waves as initial conditions),  "initial conditions based on analytical formulae of plane waves in homogenous model need to be set". I am confused about the word "homogenous". Is this means that in the example given above, the parameter "zs" in the file "SOURCE" should be set as 450 km ( which means not including the crust) ?

2) Is the code possible to calculate wave field when the incident angle is larger than the critical angle? I tried, but the computation became instable and stopped. ( Max norm of vector field in solid = -1.798*10e308 ).

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you so much!
Best wishes,
Dou Kang

--

Dou Kang
Department of Geophysics, School of Earth and Space Sciences, Peking University
E-mail: kangdou131 at 163.com
            1101110440 at pku.edu.cn