[CIG-SEISMO] Asking SPECFEM2D SU format

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Wed Jul 17 04:16:40 PDT 2013

Dear Jungrak,

Yes, CUBIT can be used in 2D as well. We often use Gmsh in the 2D case (
http://geuz.org/gmsh ), but CUBIT is valid as well. To input 2D CUBIT
meshes into SPECFEM2D you can use some of the scripts that we have in
directory "UTILS/cubit2specfem2d".

Regarding the canyon example, it is an old mesh that I created a long
time ago using a small Fortran mesher that I wrote myself back then...
this is why it looks different (and nowadays it would be better to use
CUBIT or Gmsh).

The example in "EXAMPLES/salt_dome_CUBIT_mesh" is a bit unusual: we have
lost the original CUBIT journal files, thus the only thing we have is
the original geometry and the final meshes, but not the CUBIT commands
to create them. If you need them, the easiest thing to do would be to
import the geometry in CUBIT and mesh it again from scratch, since that
mesh is simple. (if you do that, please email us the journal file, we
would be interested in adding it to that directory).

Thank you,