[CIG-SEISMO] Asking SPECFEM2D code blowing up

Jungrak SON jrson2011 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 17:29:55 PDT 2013

Dear CIG,

  This is Jungrak Son from South Korea, who attended CIG workshop in
alaska. Thanks gain to you all who have prepared great workshop, posters
and presentations. As a master student, a beginner of SPECFEM, it was a
great great time and impressive very much.

I have tried to understand SPECFEM2D code, but I found an error which I
could not overcome. When I try to run the code with very fine mesh , dx =
2m, even homogeneous model becomes unstable and stop running with below
message.

" Max norm of vector field in solid (elastic) = 9.76E+144
code become unstable and blew up in solid (elastic) "

When I use very small delta_t, it becomes ok, but very short running time
was useless. Let me ask this to great CIG researchers. What should I do to
overcome this problem? What kind of parameter may I change? or How can I
understand relevant stability equation of SPECFEM2D?

Thanks very much for your consideration and have a nice summer.

- Jungrak Son ( J.Son )