[CIG-SEISMO] Porblems about the GPU in SPECFEM3D learning

Xin Wang xwang at mirarco.org
Wed Jul 31 13:47:29 PDT 2013

Dear sir / madam,

i am Xin Wang, a PhD student in Laurentian University. i am currently trying
to run the SPECFEM2D/3D packages to simulate the seismic wave propagation in
underground mine enviroment. i met several problems in the learning of this
software.

1) i wanna mode the opennings in underground, there is some errors when i
assign the material parameters to the openings, et., Vp=Vair, Vs=0. Can you
please give me a sloution how to determine the parameters for the tunnels
zone?

2) is there a size limitation for the model? becasue all the examples in the
source code are very large to simulate the earth quake wave propagation. but
what i wanna do is to perform relative small scale range in a underground
mine, so can you tell me the proper ways to relize it? i think this code
will very useful in the dynamic modeling in underground mining.

3) Can you tell me how to turn on the GPU model? i just add a command line
in the Par_file as the manuls suggested, but i seems that the elapse time
does not change. so can you offer me a way to turn on and monitor the
working of GPU? by the way, the version of of SPECFEM3D is V2.0.2( i wonder
if this is the version's issue?). the configuration of the workstation is:
       the workstation in our lab has two GPUs of Quadro K5000 and Tesla
K20c.The Quadro K5000 and the Tesla k20c have 4G of memory, and with bus
type of PCI Express x16 Gen2.  Regarding to the CPUs, it have 16 processors
(Intel (R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687w) operating at 3.10 GHz, and It runs
Linux-X86-64 and has 32 GB of RAM.

Would you please help me to overcome these problem? Thanks for the helping.
All the best!

Cheers
xin