[CIG-SEISMO] PREM crust in SPECFEM3D GLOBE

Jeroen Tromp jtromp at princeton.edu
Fri May 10 10:33:18 PDT 2013

Hi Arjun:

Indeed, the ocean is replaced by upper crust for PREM calculations. In
SPECFEM3D_GLOBE, the effect of the ocean is approximated based on an
ocean load approximation, as discussed in Komatitsch & Tromp (2002ab).
In principle, one could use an acoustic solver in the ocean layer and
couple it to an (an)elastic solver in the crust and mantle based on
domain decomposition (this is how the outer core is coupled to the
mantle and inner core), but at periods longer than ~17 s the ocean load
approximation suffices. Of course you should be using a different code
for spherically symmetric Earth models; for benchmarking purposes it is
critical that you use exactly the same model with the same radii.
Benchmarks with normal modes presented on the CIG web site and
reproduced in the manual were performed in this fashion.

Best regards,

Jeroen Tromp