[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM GLOBE : Saving displacement at arbitrary locationssSSS for Wavefield extrapolation ?

masson masson at ipgp.fr
Fri Oct 25 07:48:40 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I am considering using the SPECFEM GLOBE for computing Green's
functions, that is I need to record the displacement wavefield following
an impulse at points lying on an arbitrary surface inside the Earth (see
the attached .pdf for more details). For now, I plan to keep that
surface in the mantle but later on I may want to include the ICB.
Basically I need to record the diplacement vector at say a few millions
of points that are off the SPECFEM GRID (That is a subset of points
comming form a grid used by another code that models the wavefield
locally). Possibly it would also be good to filter/decimate the records
on the fly (That part can wait though, and I already coded some
real-time compression schemes I could re-use here). After a quick look
through the code, I see two way to do this :

1)  Modify the receivers subroutines (so I can input only the global
cartesian coordinates of the points at which I want the displacement and
return the displacement records expressd in similar coordinates)

2) Mimmic the Movie_Volume procedures : that is output the displacement
at the elements containg my target points and do the
spatialextrapolation afterward.

As it seems like a basic task, before I start coding anything, I want
to be sure I didn't miss something and something similar isn't already
there somewhere in the code. Has anyone done something similar that I
could use as a starting point ? Also are there any future plan for using
the SPECFEM CODE in that fashion ? If this is the case, I would be happy
to hear about this.

Thank you for your time,

With kind regards,

Yder MASSON