[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM2D - random velocity models and meshing

Dylan Mikesell mikesell at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 30 07:42:51 PDT 2013

Dear SPECFEM2D group,

I have a question regarding meshing and the EXAMPLES/INDUSTRIAL_FORMAT
example.

I would like to simulate p-wave propagation with SPECFEM2D in the attached
velocity model.
(the left plot shows the background velocity field, the right plot shows
the field after draping a random perturbation field over the background. I
am using the right plot for simulation).

I was trying to use/understand the INDUSTRIAL_FORMAT example so that I
could just drop this velocity model into place and go. I have a SeisUnix
velocity model. As far as I could tell, that example created a mesh with
xmeshfem2D and then mapped some given SEP velocity model onto that mesh
using a nearest neighbor routine. I can modify things to get an SU model to
work, but I am not sure that is the way I need to go.

Since I do not know too much about the meshing, I thought I would ask the
pros. Will the internal xmeshfem2D work for this velocity model or should I
use something else? I see Gmsh in the 2D user manual and Cubit in the 3D
Cartesian user manual.

The boundary conditions are not a big deal at the moment. I see there is a
little extra work to get PMLs using the external meshers.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Dylan