[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM2D absorbing condition with internal mesher

giuseppe.digiulio at ingv.it giuseppe.digiulio at ingv.it
Fri Sep 6 01:16:00 PDT 2013

Dear specfem developers

I am an Italian researcher and I am using the specfem2D code aimed to
simulate vey simple 2D topographic irregularities.

My doubt now is on how to select the absorbing boundaries layers when
the internal meshing of the code is used.

In my simple 2D P-SV model based on two layers I have three
interfaces: i) the superficial topography, ii) the interface
separating between first and second layer, iii) and the bottom
interface.
Note that the first and second layer in my example have exactly the
same properties (Vs, Vp, Q etc) and therefore the internal interface
is ficticious (and should be in my will transparent).

My source was placed in the second layer.

I want that the uppermost topographic interface and the internal
interface (the one separating layer #1 and #2) are not absorbing, on
the contrary I want that the bottom, the left/right interfaces are
absorbing.

But my 2D simulations seem to show that also the internal interface
(the one separating layer #1 and #2) is perfectly absorbing too. This
of course produces nearly null X and Z output at the receivers
situated just along the surface topography.

Is it correct? or I wrong in some other point? How can I have the
internal interface not absorbing at all?
Suggestions are of course very welcome.

Follow details on the parameters used in my 2D model:

In Par file my selection concerning absorbing conditions was

# external mesh or not
read_external_mesh              = .false.

# absorbing boundary active or not
absorbing_conditions            = .true.
# absorbing boundary active or not
PML_BOUNDARY_CONDITIONS         = .true.
NELEM_PML_THICKNESS             = 4
STACEY_ABSORBING_CONDITIONS     = .true.
ADD_SPRING_TO_STACEY            = .false.

   # PARAMETERS FOR INTERNAL MESHING

# absorbing boundaries parameters
absorbbottom                    = .true.
absorbright                     = .true.
absorbtop                       = .false.
absorbleft                      = .true.

For clarity I provide in the attachment the Par_file, interface,
SOURCE and  a logmessage file following my 2D test. I am using the
7.0.0 release.

Thanks in advance
Giuseppe Di Giulio

Il contenuto di questa e-mail e' rivolto unicamente alle persone cui
e' indirizzato, e puo'
contenere informazioni la cui riservatezza e' tutelata.
E' proibita la copia, la divulgazione o l'uso di questo messaggio o
dell'informazione ivi
contenuta da chiunque altro che non sia il destinatario indicato.
Se avete ricevuto questa e-mail per errore, vogliate cortesemente
comunicarlo immediatamente per telefono, fax o e-mail. Grazie.

This e-mail is intended only for person or entity to which is
addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure.
Copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein
by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this
e-mail by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone, fax or e-mail.
Thank you.