[CIG-SEISMO] Asking SPECFEM2D

Carl Tape carltape at gi.alaska.edu
Mon Feb 3 22:08:05 PST 2014

Dear Jungrak,

At one time, I experimented with the 2 x 2 moment tensor source in
SPECFEM2D. If you set the source type to moment tensor, then you can
specify Mxx = 1, Mzz = 1, Mxz = 0, and this will give you an isotropic
source. You can change these elements to vary the amount of isotropic
component in the source. So going from an isotropic source to a double
couple, you will see the S waves disappear (in simple models).

Make sure to view snapshots of the wavefield to make sure it is doing the
things you want expect.

Carl

Carl Tape
Assistant Professor