[CIG-SEISMO] MINEOS synthetic amplitudes

Ana Ferreira (ENV) A.Ferreira at uea.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 03:48:42 PST 2014

Januka,
As I just told you, mineos has been extensively benchmarked against other normal mode codes as well as against specfem3d, so it should be a fairly robust, reliable code. With German colleagues, we have used it to carry out surface wave amplitude ratios of translations versus rotations and got fairly stable measurements, particularly for fundamental mode-only synthetics (see e.g. my GRL paper, Kurrle et al., 2010). So, I don't think that there should be any obvious/strong "instabilities of amplitudes" in mineos... I think that our key priority should really be to focus on the measurement technique and to check carefully and trace back what's going on with some of the observed outliers, focusing on a smaller test set of synthetics. You have already improved the measurements since the last group meeting and I think that there is still scope for improvement from what you showed me today, if you follow the approach that we discussed.
Cheers,
Ana