[CIG-SEISMO] MINEOS synthetic amplitudes

Carl Tape carltape at gi.alaska.edu
Thu Feb 20 21:54:18 PST 2014

Ciao Ana!

I hope you are doing well!

I'm happy to hear some positive support for MINEOS. Within CIG we are
wondering how to move forward to establish a "better" modes code. Frederick
Simons and a student had a pretty torturous experience with MINEOS, and he
sent some details explaining the challenges. From an outsider's standpoint,
there appears to be no development at all  with the code, which is not a
good sign. David Al-Attar believes that the best approach would be to start
from scratch, relying heavily on various components. He found the code
extremely hard to follow and adapt. Have you ever found the need for
modifications or improvements?

Anyway, I am sorry to miss "the" John event next month. It will be a
tremendous event, I can see from the list of participants. Hopefully there
will be some informal discussion about the best way to improve MINEOS or
establish a new modes code.

(On a related note, AXISEM will be useful to all, but we still want a
"proven" and adaptable modes code!

Thanks,
Carl