[CIG-SEISMO] Could I use Force Point Source in specfem3d_globe?

cxh757 cxh757 at 126.com
Fri Jun 19 03:30:40 PDT 2015

Hi all

There is USE_FORCE_POINT_SOURCE flag in Par_file of specfem3d, and we can turn this flag to use force point source instead of a moment-tensor source.

But I did not find this flag in Par_file of specfem3d_globe. It seems there are some related parameters in setup/constants.h.in of specfem3d_globe:

! use a force source located exactly at a grid point instead of a CMTSOLUTION source
! this can be useful e.g. for asteroid impact simulations
! in which the source is a vertical force, normal force, impact etc.
  logical, parameter :: USE_FORCE_POINT_SOURCE = .false.
  double precision, parameter :: FACTOR_FORCE_SOURCE = 1.d15
  integer, parameter :: COMPONENT_FORCE_SOURCE = 3  ! takes direction in comp E/N/Z = 1/2/3

I am not sure whether I can use these parameters. According to this github issue:https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d_globe/issues/270, using these parameters is unsafe in specfem3d_globe.

Does anyone could tell me how to use force point source safely in specfem3d_globe?

And I really suggest USE_FORCE_POINT_SOURCE flag should be added in Par_file of specfem3d_globe, similar to specfem3d (https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d/issues/54).

Thanks

Yours
Xiaohan Chen