[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D Cartesian MPI failure due to gatherv_all_cr() in fault_solver_dynamic.f90

Junwei Huang jwhuang1982 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:02:55 PDT 2015

Hi all,
I compiled the development version using gcc, gfortran and openmpi and
tried the TPV5 example. I succeeded in using a single processor. With more
than 2 processors, I got MPI error messages as follows:

Operating system error: Cannot allocate memory
Memory allocation failed
mpirun has exited due to process rank 1 with PID 21189 on
node ubuntu exiting without calling "finalize". This may
have caused other processes in the application to be
terminated by signals sent by mpirun (as reported here).

It seems to me that it is the function call of gatherv_all_cr()  in either
init_dataXZ(bc%dataXZ,bc) or gather_dataXZ(bc). One processor becomes dead
after the call and the above error message will be thrown once
synchronize_all() or MPI_BARRIER(my_local_mpi_comm_world,ier) is called.

I would be really grateful if some experts here can help me figure out the
issue. Could it be the mpi library? I am using openmpi1.3. Or the example
itself needs update? Thanks very much.