[CIG-SEISMO] southern California; Specfem3D Tutorial for 2013 CIG-QUEST-IRIS Workshop

Carl Tape ctape at alaska.edu
Tue Mar 31 14:02:28 PDT 2015

Dear Kasemsak:

I think you are referring to a work-in-progress tutorial that we started
but did not distribute. The southern California example requires an
external mesh and an external tomography file. The GEOCUBIT capabilities
could be used to generate an external mesh. And you can obtain some
velocity models for California from SCEC:
http://scec.usc.edu/scecpedia/UCVM_14.3.0

The research problem that you describe -- seismic imaging with simulations
-- is fairly advanced, and there is no single workflow (yet) associated
with SPECFEM3D to handle everything. Please refer to the manual for some
information about existing capabilities for the inversion. There are a few
different groups working on trying to improve the workflow for
adjoint-based inversions.

Regards,
Carl

Carl Tape
Assistant Professor
Geophysical Institute (office 413D)
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Phone: 907-474-5456
Email: ctape at alaska.edu
Web: http://www.giseis.alaska.edu/input/carl/

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Kasemsak Saetang <light2529 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To whom it may concern
>      My name is Kasemsak Saetang. I am a lecturer and researcher at
Physics Program, Faculty of Education, Nakhon Si Thammarat Rajabhat
University, Thaialand. I am interested in Specfem3d Cartesian. I already
installed the code in the supercomputer and also run an example in the
EXAPLES/tomographic_model. It is working. I have seen the Specfem3D
Tutorial for 2013 CIG-QUEST-IRIS Workshop written by Carl, Qinya, Elliott,
and Emanuele on January 5, 2014. I am interested in example 3: southern
California

> I don't know how could I download the tutorial file of the southern
California. I need it because it looks like my research. My research is
adjoint tomography beneath northern Thailand revealed by Spectral Element
method. I already have three component SAC files with 8 seismic stations,
gravity maps, topography maps, and body wave tomographic models. I don't
known how to use it and set it in the Par file to adjoint method = 2.
 I cannot find the ways in the specfem3d tutorial which almost shown in the
forward simulation. Could you suggest something to me about how to comply
the software with sac files, gravity maps, topography maps, and initial
tomographic models.