[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D: ADJOINT example not working + missing files

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Tue Aug 15 16:16:43 PDT 2017

Dear Gary,

Thanks! Let me cc Daniel Peter, since the problem you mention at line 42
of the scripts comes from this, which contains a comment from Daniel:

#daniel
do_setup=$1

The problem comes from the fact that $1 may be undefined when no command
line argument is given to the script (i.e. in most cases); however, even
when I remove that line, the rest of the script does not work either, it
seems that the paths have changed.

On 08/15/2017 03:03 PM, Gary wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I am new to the specfem3d code and I am trying to get familiar with it
> by looking at the examples.  I am interested in simulating a synthetic
> seismic attribute (e.g. impedance, RMS amplitude, instantaneous
> frequency, or time-shift) for an oil and gas reservoir, so I was looking
> at the BENCHMARK_CLAERBOUT_ADJOINT example, which I thought would be the
> closest to what I am interested in. However, I am not able to run this
> example for both acoustic and elastic cases, which give the following
> error when ran using $ ./run_inhomogeneous.bash
>
>     ./run_inhomogeneous.bash: line 42: $1: unbound variable
>

> Also, some of the python mesh creation files produce an error in Cubit
> because it needs cubit2specfem3d.py, and I believe this file is missing
> from the specfem3d repository.
>
> Can you please help? I have been looking for one example to simulate a
> seismic response of a synthetic oil and gas reservoir, so I will really
> appreciate your kind help. Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Gary

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr