[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D - help

Jacek Chodacki jchodacki at gig.eu
Wed Oct 25 02:05:30 PDT 2017

Dear Madame/Sir,
I am geophysicist and for some time I have been trying to use SPECFEM3D
for predicting surface vibrations from seismic events (local seismicity
connected with coal mine operation). Because the results are not
satisfying I stepped back and calculated an example from SPECFEM3D (from
directory ‘meshfem3d_examples -> simple model’). In output files I
received for example pick value of displacement=0.0008m, pick value of
velocity=0.0001m/s and pick value of acceleration=0.00005m/s^2. Is there
any mistake in calculation or there is something I don’t know about
(units of results in output files are [m] for displacement, [m/s] for
velocity and [m/s^2] for acceleration)?
Thank you in advance for help.
Best regards
Jacek Chodacki
Central Mining Institute, Katowice, Poland