[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D - help

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Thu Oct 26 16:01:09 PDT 2017

Dear Jacek,

In many of the examples, in particular those that use FORCESOLUTION
rather than CMTSOLUTION to describe the source, what is used is relative
amplitudes (comparing amplitude variations between seismograms recorded
at different locations). If you need absolute amplitudes, CMTSOLUTION is
safe but I am not sure if force sources (i.e. FORCESOLUTION) are OK, see
https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d/issues/842 .

On 10/25/2017 11:05 AM, Jacek Chodacki wrote:
> Dear Madame/Sir,
>
> I am geophysicist and for some time I have been trying to use SPECFEM3D
> for predicting surface vibrations from seismic events (local seismicity
> connected with coal mine operation). Because the results are not
> satisfying I stepped back and calculated an example from SPECFEM3D (from
> directory ‘meshfem3d_examples -> simple model’). In output files I
> received for example pick value of displacement=0.0008m, pick value of
> velocity=0.0001m/s and pick value of acceleration=0.00005m/s^2. Is there
> any mistake in calculation or there is something I don’t know about
> (units of results in output files are [m] for displacement, [m/s] for
> velocity and [m/s^2] for acceleration)?
>
> Thank you in advance for help.
>
> Best regards
>
> Jacek Chodacki
>
> Central Mining Institute, Katowice, Poland

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr