[CIG-SEISMO] using SPECFEM3D fot simulating gravity perturbation / PS

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Tue Apr 3 07:44:20 PDT 2018

Dear Yixin Yao,

Please also make sure you get a recent version of the code, for instance
by typing this:

git clone --recursive --branch devel
https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d.git

because the current version of the users manual says this:

"OTHER ANNOUNCEMENT: SPECFEM3D can now perform gravity field
calculations in addition (or instead of) seismic wave propagation only.
See flag GRAVITY_INTEGRALS in file setup/constants.h.in.
Please also refer to
http://komatitsch.free.fr/preprints/GJI_Martin_gravimetry_2017.pdf.
And yes, that is the reason why I added a falling apple on the cover of
the manual :-)"

On 04/03/2018 04:38 PM, Dimitri Komatitsch wrote:

> Dear Yixin Yao,
>
> Thank you for your interest in our work on this. You are right, by lack
> of time the gravity integrals are not very well documented in the users
> manual, however they are explained in detail in this paper:
> http://komatitsch.free.fr/preprints/GJI_Martin_gravimetry_2017.pdf
>
> You can also find the flags to use in file setup/constants.h.in, there
> is a section with flags about gravity integrals, called "gravity
> integral calculations".
>
> Best regards,
> Dimitri.
>
> On 04/02/2018 04:04 PM, yaoyixin1989 at 163.com wrote:
>> Dear prof.,
>> I am a PhD student of Institute of Geodesy and Geophysics, Chinese
>> Academy of Sciences.I am interested in gravity perturbation caused by
>> an earthquake, and I try to do the simulation by using SPECFEM3D
>> software. These days, I have searched the manual clearly, but I didn't
>> find the detailed discription about gravity perturbation.
>> What should I do, is there a detailed manual about how to simulate the
>> gravity perturbation?
>> Thank you very much for your kind consideration and I am looking
>> forward to your reply!
>>
>> Sincerely, yours
>> Yixin Yao

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr