[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D-Globe, near epicenter velocities

Inchin, Pavel INCHINP at my.erau.edu
Thu Apr 19 05:53:27 PDT 2018

Good day!

Backing to my question, there are a couple of simulation in the attachments: NEX_XI=96 and NEX_XI=336. (x,y - 1000x1000 km grid). Both videos are velocities.
There are definitely hour-glass looking like effect for low resolution simulation in the vicinity of the epicenter, but no in NEX_XI=336. Thanks!

NEX_XI=96:

NEX_XI=336:

However, I backed to my initial question. You can find in NEX_XI=336 simulation long decaying pattern very close to the epicenter showing constant velocities. It doesn’t look like hour-glass effect, so I am not sure whether this is of real nature or not.

Thank you in advance.

Yours faithfully,
Paul