[CIG-SEISMO] MINEOS near-field fluctuations

Inchin, Pavel INCHINP at my.erau.edu
Fri Feb 23 08:36:48 PST 2018

Good day,

I use MINEOS<https://github.com/geodynamics/mineos> to reproduce surface waves (particularly Rayleigh waves). On the plot below I did synthetic seismograms (for vertical component in frequency range 0-20 mHz) for every 2 km along a particular longitude to the North from epicenter of earthquake up to 3000 km distance. I clearly see the propagation of the Rayleigh wave (at ~2000 km on the plot below), but at the same time during all simulations I see constant fluctuations near the epicenter which decay very slowly.

Do these represent some real effect or it is just a modeling artifact? To which extent MINEOS reproduce correct fluctuation due to waves propagation near the epicenter?

[cid:CAD6B2EB-3C2F-4905-ABCF-A7B355BF4973 at db.erau.edu]

Thank you.

Paul Inchin