[CIG-SEISMO] Unresolved issues in specfem2d

Alexis Bottero alexis.bottero at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 06:06:54 PST 2018

Hello everybody,
I just commited a new folder called unresolvedBugs in specfem2d/EXAMPLES in
order to gather all unresolved issues. The examples there are supposed to
be simple, working, not containing useless features and have a minimum
computational cost.
I think that it can be useful for the community.

For the moment I have added five cases that I have detected during my PhD.

1. bugPMLs_1 : Strong spurious reflections from the PMLs in some particular
cases.

2. bugPMLs_2 : This bug (the worse by far) occurs in simulations with many
time steps (>100000) and viscoelastic media with PMLs. Even if the PMLs are
not in contact with the viscoelastic part!

3. bugPMLs_3 : Small bug when using PMLs with the internal mesher in some
particular configurations.

4. bugSource : Strange (small) unphysical dispersion in acoustic domains.

5. bugViscoelasticity : This shows a gradual, very slow explosion in
viscoelastic media. This issue is probably not a "bug" strictly speaking
but may arise from the inconsistency of memory variables between two
adjacent elements. The real problem occurs when considering also acoustic
media in the same run. In that case the instability occurs faster.

Do not hesitate to take a look at these examples and add yours!

Thank you very much!

Cheers

Alexis Bottero, PhD student
Tel: +0033 6 95 17 00 97
Waves and imaging
Laboratoire de Mécanique et d'Acoustique de Marseille