[CIG-SEISMO] Unresolved issues in specfem2d

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Fri Mar 9 08:56:20 PST 2018

Hi Alexis, Hi all,

Thanks a lot. Very useful!

I will have a look at 4 and 5. (in two or three weeks)

4 could be classical Hourglass-like modes (see
http://www.uni-magdeburg.de/ifme/zeitschrift_tm/2014_Heft2/01_Schmicker_et_al.pdf),
i.e. not a bug but a property of finite element methods. Bernhard
Schuberth had noticed that in 2003 already (in the 3D code).

5 could be related to the viscoelastic memory variables being in L^2
rather than H^1, if so, same thing, not a bug but a "feature".

Zhinan, could your student have a look at 1, 2 and 3?

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Dimitri.

On 03/09/2018 03:06 PM, Alexis Bottero wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I just commited a new folder called unresolvedBugs in specfem2d/EXAMPLES
> in order to gather all unresolved issues. The examples there are
> supposed to be simple, working, not containing useless features and have
> a minimum computational cost.
> I think that it can be useful for the community.
>
> For the moment I have added five cases that I have detected during my PhD.
>
> 1. bugPMLs_1 : Strong spurious reflections from the PMLs in some
> particular cases.
>
> 2. bugPMLs_2 : This bug (the worse by far) occurs in simulations with
> many time steps (>100000) and viscoelastic media with PMLs. Even if the
> PMLs are not in contact with the viscoelastic part!
>
> 3. bugPMLs_3 : Small bug when using PMLs with the internal mesher in
> some particular configurations.
>
> 4. bugSource : Strange (small) unphysical dispersion in acoustic domains.
>
> 5. bugViscoelasticity : This shows a gradual, very slow explosion in
> viscoelastic media. This issue is probably not a "bug" strictly speaking
> but may arise from the inconsistency of memory variables between two
> adjacent elements. The real problem occurs when considering also
> acoustic media in the same run. In that case the instability occurs faster.
>
> Do not hesitate to take a look at these examples and add yours!
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Cheers
>
> Alexis Bottero, PhD student
> Tel: +0033 6 95 17 00 97
> Waves and imaging
> Laboratoire de Mécanique et d'Acoustique de Marseille

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr