[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D internal mesher

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Thu Oct 25 14:02:29 PDT 2018

Hi Avinash,

Regarding 1) I am not sure (let me cc Vadim to see if he knows).

Regarding 2) you are right, I added full support for CPMLs to the
internal mesher a few months ago, but forgot to remove the sentence from
the users manual. I have just removed it tonight. Thanks for pointing
this out.

On 10/25/18 8:18 PM, Avinash Nayak wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to SPECFEM3D. I have 2 questions on this software and I will be
> very grateful for your help.
> 1) Meshing with CUBIT allows one to assign different tomography files
> with different discretization intervals to different elements of the
> mesh. Is it possible to use the internal mesher xmeshfem3D in the same
> way with more than one tomography file ? Any working example will be
> really helpful.
> 2) Does the internal mesher  work with perfectly matched layer (CPML) ?
> Chapter 4 says xmeshfem3D generated meshes don't support CPML yet but
> the example mesh files for xmeshfem3D have some lines with
> "THICKNESS_OF_X_PML", etc although the PML_CONDITIONS flag in these
> examples is .false.
> Thanks for your help.
> Regards,
> Avinash
>
> --
> Avinash Nayak,
> Research Associate,
> Department of Geoscience,
> University of Wisconsin, Madison

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr