[CIG-SEISMO] Viewing Specfem3D Globe Mesh

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Fri Sep 7 13:14:40 PDT 2018

Hi,

I think what you need is implemented in
src/auxiliaries/combine_vol_data.F90 ; if not, then you can add the
following lines to one of the specfem3D_globe routines to output the
whole mesh (this will create huge files though; and one mesh file per
MPI slice):

! loop on all the points and output their position
do ipoin = 1,NGLOB_CRUST_MANTLE
   write(*,*) xstore(ipoin),ystore(ipoin),zstore(ipoin)
enddo

! loop on all the elements and output their topology
     i = 1
     j = 1
     k = 1
     di = NGLLX-1
     dj = NGLLY-1
     dk = NGLLZ-1
do ispec = 1,NSPEC_CRUST_MANTLE
               iglob1 = ibool(i,j,k,ispec)
               iglob2 = ibool(i+di,j,k,ispec)
               iglob3 = ibool(i+di,j+dj,k,ispec)
               iglob4 = ibool(i,j+dj,k,ispec)
               iglob5 = ibool(i,j,k+dk,ispec)
               iglob6 = ibool(i+di,j,k+dk,ispec)
               iglob7 = ibool(i+di,j+dj,k+dk,ispec)
               iglob8 = ibool(i,j+dj,k+dk,ispec)
   write(*,*) iglob1,iglob2,iglob3,iglob4,iglob5,iglob6,iglob7,iglob8
enddo

This will output the crust + mantle mesh; if needed, you can do it for
the outer core and for the inner core as well.

On 08/31/2018 06:47 PM, kued bruc wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am interested in viewing the SPECFEM3DGlobe Mesh created for the
> simulations I run, and in particular, extracting the dvs values in a
> form that will easily let me open it in other programs.
>
> Section 10.1 of the manual tells us to use the command xcombine_AVS_DX
> to view the mesh When run, this only appears to have options to generate
> a mesh of the model surface, or along chunk edges or slices.
>
> When I view the AVS output in Paraview or when I read it into other
> programs, it seems that none of these options appear to generate a file
> that contains information about *every* cell in the mesh, such as that
> needed to make Figure 5.1 in the SPECFEM3DGLOBE manual.
>
> Could you point me in the right direction here? I'd like to be able to
> extract information about the velocity of every cell in the final mesh.
> Sorry if I've missed something obvious here.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Regards,

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr