[CIG-SHORT] New name for Lithomop

cig-short at geodynamics.org cig-short
Sat Feb 12 14:35:56 PST 2005

Hi all,
    and greetings from Disney World (I'm at the SIAM Computational
Science and Engineering meeting).

I should know better than to get into a naming debate (particularly if
CIG evolves to the point where codes become sufficiently modular that
they lose their names...or better yet the names proliferate with the
number of possible codes)...but...here's a random name that came to me
in a fever dream.

LithoDemon

which is short for either

LITHOsphericDEforMatiON model
-or-
LITHOsphericDEMONstration model

the first reflecting what the code does, the second as what the code
*is* (or could be) within the  CIG universe.  Namely  a working
demonstration of what the next generation of codes might look like and
what CIG can do... (Also,  if it's written well it should hopefully run
like a bat out of hell).

But I think I've been in one too many computational sessions today...
Feel free to ignore me  (but I think it's better than DemoLithon which
sounds like a bomb code with a lisp)
cheers
marc

On Feb 12, 2005, at 3:36 PM, cig-short at geodynamics.org wrote:

> Charles,
>
> My vote: PyLith.
>
> Kush
>>

>>> Due to consistently unfavorable responses to the name 'Lithomop' for
>>> my FE code, I'm planning to change the name one last time.  The two
>>> candidates at present are:
>>>
>>> PyLit
>>> PyLith
>>>
>>> Mark Simons favors the first one, but I don't have a strong
>>> preference.  The first one is probably easier to say, especially in
>>> conjunction with qualifiers (e.g. PyLit3D).  I have googled for both
>>> names, and none of the hits I could find are software.  Does anyone
>>> have a strong preference, or doesn't think I should change the name?
>>>  If people are agreeable to this, I will start checking in a new
>>> package, probably starting sometime next week.  This might actually
>>> make a good place to get started with the pythia-0.8 version of the
>>> code.  I promise that this is the very last time I will change the
>>> name of the code.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Charles
>>>

>>> Charles A. Williams
>>> Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences
>>> Science Center, 2C01B
>>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
>>> Troy, NY  12180
>>> Phone:    (518) 276-3369
>>> FAX:        (518) 276-2012
>>> e-mail:    willic3 at rpi.edu
>>>
> Kush Tandon
> College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
> Oregon State University, COAS Admin. Bldg. 104
> Corvallis, OR 97331
> Phones: (541) 737-9658 (Office);  (541) 758-2217 (Home)
> Fax: (541) 737-2064 (Office); (321) 600-6884 (Home)
> Emails: kush at coas.oregonstate.edu; kushtandon at yahoo.com
> kt74 at cornell.edu; ktandon at comcast.net
> http://www.coas.oregonstate.edu/index.cfm?
> fuseaction=faculty.detail&id=209

Marc Spiegelman
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory &
Dept. of Applied Physics/Applied Mathematics
Columbia University
LDEO: 	Tel: (845) 365 8425 Fax: (845) 365 8150
DAPAM:	Tel: (212) 854 4918
http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~mspieg