[CIG-SHORT] Please use CIG website for benchmark collaboration

Sue Kientz sue at geodynamics.org
Mon Aug 14 16:47:50 PDT 2006

Hi Everyone:

We would like to encourage benchmark participants to use the CIG
website. The Plone software that we use was specifically chosen so
that the community can effectively collaborate using editable web
pages. For example, recent postings on cig-short on benchmarking
contained vital information that should go here:

	http://www.geodynamics.org:8080/cig/workinggroups/eq/workarea/
benchmarks/

Brad Aagaard can give you use access to the site so that you can the
edit pages that we have established for the short-time scale
tectonics community. Once you get use access, you can log in and edit
material already available there, and add new pages or files.

Here's how:

Getting Use Access
-----------------
- If you are already a member (e.g., can log in to CIG) and have use
access, skip to "Log in" below.
- If you are already a member but need use access, send e-mail to
Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov>, tell him your CIG username,  and
request use access. Then start at "Log in" below.
- If you are not a member, proceed to the next step, "Get a CIG
Account."

Get a CIG Account
-----------------
It's free and easy to get an account:
	1. At http://www.geodynamics.org/ in the upper right, click "join"
         2. Enter your personal information and click "register"
         3. Your password is emailed to you
         4. Now you can e-mail  Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov>,
tell him your CIG username,  and request use access.

-----------------
Once you have use access set up, log in:
         1. At http://www.geodynamics.org/ in the upper right, click
"log in"
         2. Enter username and password and click "log in"
         3. Now you're ready to add or edit files.

Editing Files
----------------
Navigate to the page you wish to edit and click the "edit" tab above
the text area. For example,
          1. Go to http://www.geodynamics.org:8080/cig/workinggroups/
eq/workarea/benchmarks/
          2. Let's say you want to edit the description page for
Reverse-slip (no gravity). Click the link "Description"
          3. Click the "edit" tab above the text. An editable form
displays.
         4. Make your changes or add paragraphs. Some pages use HTML
and some use Structured Text. A cheat sheet for Structured Text is
found at http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/structured-text-
cheatsheet
         5. When finished, click the "save" button at bottom of page

Adding Pages
-----------------
Navigate to the page or section of the website where you wish to add
files, and click "contents" to start the process. As an example,
here's what you'd do to add a description page on Landers-Hector Mine:
        1. Go to http://www.geodynamics.org:8080/cig/workinggroups/eq/
workarea/benchmarks/
        2. Click "contents" tab
        3. At next screen, click "Add new item" button
        4. Click "add" next to "Document" to add a web page.
		(If you have a ready-made file, e.g., a PDF or JPG image, you can
click "add" next to "File" and upload that file.)
        5. Enter your text in the empty form input areas. When
finished, click the "save" button at the bottom of the page
        6. Edit the page "Benchmarks" (see Editing Files above) to
add a link to the web page or file you just created/uploaded.

If you need any help, I'm here to assist you. E-mail me at
sue at geodynamics.org.

Sue Kientz
CIG Technical Writer/Webmaster
E-mail: sue at geodynamics.org