[CIG-SHORT] problem definition for Landers-Hector Mine benchmark

Bradford H. Hager brad at chandler.mit.edu
Wed Aug 16 12:27:38 PDT 2006

Brad and cig-short-

I am back from wondering in the wilderness and digging into
benchmarking.  I have sped-read the literature on postseismic
deformation following Landers, and have the following (revised)
opinion about the viscoelastic structure.  Freed & Burgmann (Nature,
2004) included a few newtonian models in their study focusing on
power law, most of which included a Maxwell lower crust, as well as a
Maxwell mantle.  Pollitz (EPSL, 2003) also investigated Maxwell
models including a viscoelastic lower crust and mantle.
Unfortunately, their layer boundaries do not coincide.  I suggest
that we go with Pollitz' structure because it does not have an
additional layer boundary in the mantle.

I suggest that we use the following viscosity structure:

0 - 18(?) km depth, elastic (e.g., visc = 10^25 Pa s)  Note - the
precise depth is not crucial - use the depth closest to the layer
boundary in the elastic structure.

18(?) - 30 km depth, Maxwell viscoelastic, visc = 32.2 x 10^18 Pa s.

30 - 150 km, Maxwell viscoelastic, visc = 4.6 x 10^18 Pa s.

I suggest that the solutions be examined at 0, 0.5, 1, 2, 4, and 7
years so that we can follow the early transients better and end at
about the time of Hector Mine.

I think that Brad's description of model output is good.

Brad Hager