[CIG-SHORT] Reverse-Slip (no gravity) benchmark - pylith output

Eric Andreas Hetland eah at gps.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:26:01 PDT 2006

Benchmarkers:

I ran Reverse-Slip (no gravity) on Pylith - I only ran the mesh that Charles
made, I intended to do more, but currently I can not get Pylith running on
my linux workstation, and computations are limited on an old iBook, maybe
more next time around.

The results can be downloaded here:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~eah/CFEM/

and these are the files:

bmrsnog_1000m_OldBCs.tgz
bmrsnog_1000m_NewBCs.tgz

in *_OldBCs.tgz I used the older BC's, that only have a 125 m step size to
approximate the slip taper.
in *_NewBCs.tgz I used the BCs from Okada with 10m step, as discussed in
Golden, and the edges of the fault have zero slip (at the end of the taper
specification, where the OldBCs have some prescribed slip at the edge of the
taper in the FE model).

I was not sure what BC set was run in GeoFEST - I realized that I sent the
new BCs to Charles only for his older BM5 mesh that is posted on the CIG
website.

Note that if the numeric elastic results are compared to the Okada solution,
make sure the BC set is consistent with the okada realization that is
compared to. Also, note that in the old BC specification, there will be a
larger error due to the fact that the FE solution has a very different fault
offset distribution than the old Okada realization.

Eric.