[CIG-SHORT] material model for landers/hector mine benchmark

Greg Lyzenga lyzenga at hmc.edu
Thu Jul 13 12:14:45 PDT 2006

> Eric-
>
> Yes, it is possible to setup the codes to work with the material model
> that Brad originally proposed. For PyLith-0.8 (and I imagine GeoFEST
> as well), it would require some significant recoding of how material
> properties are assigned. This is why I proposed a quick and dirty
> approach with 10-12 layers that would come close to matching the
> structure Brad proposed but not require any recoding.
>
> Brad

Yes, just to second Brad's comment...  Continuously variable
properties based on element centroid location are no problem in
principle, but in practice require writing new code (and validating/
debugging it).  The best short-term solution is to have a modest but
reasonable number of material classes that map to the realistic model.

                             - Greg

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice.  But
in practice, there's a difference."

Gregory A. Lyzenga  <lyzenga at hmc.edu>           ***     (909) 621-8378
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College           *** fax (909) 621-8887
Claremont, CA 91711-5990
<http://www.physics.hmc.edu/faculty/Lyzenga/index.html>