[CIG-SHORT] ALE::Exception

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 17:30:15 PDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Rowena Lohman <rolohman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I just asked Eric Hetland about this, since he ran into a similar problem
> back in August, but I didn't see any response to his question in the CIG
> list archive.
>
> I'm getting the following error when I run Pylith using my own,
> script-generated input files:
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'ALE::Exception'
> /u/vento0/rlohman/pylith-0.8.1-linux-x86/bin/mpirun.ch_shmem: line 91:
> 11789 Aborted
>
> Question:  Is this type of error likely to be a formatting issue (very
> possible since I'm writing the  input files in matlab), or is it a more
> difficult issue involving  a poorly-structured mesh?
>
> I'm not too familiar with ALE but am reading through the scanner.cc file
> in hopes of figuring out what's wrong.

This is my fault. All exceptions should be caught and print errors. However,
I do not believe there is a nice
error handling pattern for Pyre. This is an uncaught exception. You can see
exactly what the error is by spawning the
debugger using -start_in_debugger,  and looking at the error message in the
stack trace.

However, if I had to guess, I would say its a problem with the input file.
There is no error checking for the input since
we had no time to write it. The right thing to do is usually to write a nice
parser or use XML which has nice parsers,
hopefully with good error messages.

   Matt

Thanks!
> Ro
>
> --

"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec
Guiness