[CIG-SHORT] Problem installing nemesis

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Nov 15 20:42:23 PST 2007

Laura-

The config.log indicates that the mpich library is found, but there are
unresolved symbols when linking with it (see except below). There are
two ways to solve this. (1) Switch to using mpicc and mpiCC to compile C
and C++ source code that uses MPI (i.e., nemesis and PyLith). You can
set things in the command line to configure using CC=mpicc nd CXX=mpiCC.
(2) Look at the output of "mpicc -v" and see what libraries are needed
to link MPI programs and add these to the command line via
LIBRARIES="-lmpich OTHER LIBRARIES GO HERE".

Excerpt from config.log:

configure:3149: gcc -o conftest -g -O2
-I/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/include
-L/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib conftest.c -lmpich   >&5
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `pthread_create'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `pthread_getspecific'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `pthread_key_delete'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `aio_read64'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `aio_error64'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `aio_suspend64'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `pthread_key_create'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `aio_write64'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `aio_return64'
/home/alisic/opt/petsc-dev/linux_g++_debug/lib/libmpich.so: undefined
reference to `pthread_setspecific'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Brad